Zesty Vegetarian Pasta
Posted on June 12, 2015 by Cooking for Students
When your body is craving carbs nothing satisfies the craving more than a bowl of pasta. This quick and budget friendly pasta recipe can be made in a pinch and it tastes so good! The sauce is extremely full flavored and zesty with small bites of green peppers and onions throughout. With the help of a few fresh components, two cans of tomato sauce and some seasonings you can make a pasta dish that will immediately become one of your favorites. This is also a meat free recipe for all the vegetarians out there.
What’s in it?
- 2 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
- About half of a 16 oz. package of pasta, your choice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ green bell pepper, finely chopped
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Pinch of dried oregano
- Vegetable oil
- Black pepper
How’s it made?
- Bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat.
- Add a tablespoon of oil to a large saucepan and heat over medium.
- Add the green bell pepper, onion and garlic.
- Cook until softened and fragrant (about 2-3 minutes) while stirring to prevent burning.
- Pour in both cans of tomato sauce. Stir.
- Pour half a cup of water into the sauce to thin it out. Stir.
- Add in the soy sauce, chili powder, and oregano.
- Season with salt and a generous amount of black pepper.
- Bring to a gentle boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Salt pasta water and add the pasta. This will give it more flavor.
- Cook according to packaging instructions or until al dente.
- Taste the sauce and adjust seasonings. You can add more chili powder if desired.
- Pour the sauce into the pot of pasta. Stir and serve hot.
This pasta recipe is super easy and stands out from the rest. The sauce is zesty but not overwhelming and the vegetables gives it a very fresh taste. To make a great sauce you do not need an array of fresh herbs and hours to cook down 2-3 lbs. of tomatoes. You can utilize super affordable ingredients to create one that appeals to your palate and your wallet. Many may be wondering how soy sauce and chili powder works in a red sauce but it just does. Those two components combined with the oregano give the sauce depth and complexity.