Spicy Cilantro Lime Rice
Posted on May 27, 2015 by Cooking for Students
Rice dishes are great for any busy student because they taste good, last a long time in the fridge, are inexpensive and portable. One terrific rice dish that livens up the palate is spicy cilantro and lime rice. It is so light and bright with a kick thanks to the addition of jalapeno peppers. The rice is so refreshing and has a lot of depth. Aside from taste, the dish is so appealing to the eye. The bright pops of green throughout is very nice. Spicy cilantro lime rice captures you with the aroma, draws you in with its appearance, and keeps you coming back for more with taste.
What’s in it?
- 1 ½ cups reduced sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 minced garlic clove or a pinch of garlic powder
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and minced
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon vegetable oil
- Juice and zest of 3 limes
- Chopped cilantro, fresh
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
How’s it made?
- Rinse the rice once or twice under cold water. This helps to remove any excess starch from the surface
(you do not want the rice to be sticky).
- Heat a large skillet over medium and add the oil along with the garlic, onion and jalapeno.
- Sauté until softened and fragrant. Stir to prevent burning.
- Lower the heat and add the rice along with some salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 3 minutes or until the rice is lightly toasted.
- Pour in the chicken broth along with the lime zest and half of the juice.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for 5 minutes or until the rice is done but still has some bite (add more broth if needed).
- Remove rice from the heat and stir in the remaining lime juice along with the cilantro.
- Season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve warm or chill to eat at a later time.
Once you put in 10-12 minutes of your time to make the rice you have a great dish to eat as you please. You can take a bowl of rice with you for lunch, serve it as a side or incorporate the rice into other recipes. There is the option of using it in burritos, serving it with beans adding it to soup and so much more. The options are endless but the result will always be unforgettable.