Spanish-style Chicken Bake
Posted on December 12, 2013 by The Hairy Bikers
Create a beautiful Chicken bake with a taste of Spain. Enhance a Chicken dish with herbs, spices and packed full of healthy vegetables; perfect for a Sunday roast!
What’s in it?
- 1 medium onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 medium red onion,
- cut into 8 wedges
- 500g new potatoes,
- quartered lengthways
- 8 whole garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 8 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 75g chorizo (preferably picante)
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- ½ tsp sweet smoked paprika
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and
- cut into strips
- flaked sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
How’s it made?
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Put the onions, potatoes, garlic and tomatoes in a large roasting tin and season with sea salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper. Toss everything together lightly and roast for 20 minutes.
- While the vegetables are roasting, skin the chorizo and cut the meat into thin slices – 5mm is about right. Put the chicken thighs on a board and carefully slash each one 2 or 3 times with a knife. Season all over with black pepper. Mix the paprika and oregano together and set aside.
- Take the roasting tin out of the oven, scatter the chorizo over the veg and turn everything a couple of times. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables and chorizo and sprinkle with the paprika and oregano. Season with a little salt and return to the oven for 20 minutes.
- Take the tin out of the oven. Holding one corner carefully with an oven cloth, lift the tin a little so all the juices run to the opposite end, then spoon and drizzle the juices back over the chicken. Tuck the pepper strips loosely around the chicken and vegetables.
- Turn the oven up to 220°C/Fan 200°C/Gas 7. Put the tin back in the oven for another 20 minutes or until the peppers are just softened and the chicken is golden and crisp. As you eat, squeeze the garlic out of the skins and enjoy the deliciously soft and fragrant flesh. Just don’t kiss anyone afterwards!
*370 calories per portion
Recipe from THE HAIRY DIETERS EAT FOR LIFE by Si King & Dave Myers, published by Weidenfeld & Nicolson on 15 August 2013 in trade paperback at £14.99, eBook: £7.99