Shredded Chicken Tacos
Posted on August 27, 2015 by Cooking for Students
A healthy protein packed college dinner or lunch that can be made in minimal time are shredded chicken tacos. They are meaty, a little spicy, fresh and wonderfully simplistic. This recipe is perfect for those days when you really do not feel like cooking but want a nice meal in a hurry. All you need is chicken, tortillas, salsa and fresh cilantro.
What’s in it?
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- Corn tortillas
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Chili powder
- Fresh cilantro
- Jarred salsa of your choice
- Vegetable oil
- Salt and black pepper
How’s it made?
- Pull all the meat from the rotisserie chicken, place it into a bowl and shred with a fork.
- Add some chicken to a pan. Use as much as you need depending on how many tacos you plan to make.
- Drizzle with a tablespoon of oil and heat over medium low. Sprinkle with chili powder. Season with a little salt, some pepper and stir to distribute into the chicken.
- Remove from the heat once it is warmed through. Drizzle with lemon juice to add some acidity to the chicken.
- Warm the tortillas in the same pan. The goal is a soft tortilla with a little color.
- Assemble the tacos by placing shredded chicken in the center.
- Top with your favorite pre made salsa and finish with fresh cilantro.
- If you choose to make the chicken yourself:
- Drizzle oil on the bottom of a baking dish
- Season two boneless, skinless chicken breasts with chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the lemon juice over the chicken and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the internal temperature is 165 degrees F.
Once the tacos are assembled you can eat. Every bite is extremely well balanced. They have spice, some tartness and a bright refreshing note from the cilantro. For those who do not have chicken, you can bake pork chops in the oven and shred them for pork tacos, use steak, shrimp or you can load them up with vegetables if you please. Black beans, lettuce and tomatoes accompanied by some cheese will taste just as good. Use what you have and be creative. Tacos are foolproof and can be taken in a number of directions. All you need is some salsa, cilantro and lemon juice to complete the plate.