Posted on September 14, 2015 by Cooking for Students
Some people love meatloaf while others do not. The thing is, those who do not enjoy it very much have never had one that was made right. Meatloaf needs to meet 3 requirements. It has to be juicy, it must be flavorful and you need some tomato sauce in the mix to give it a taste that appeals to everyone’s palate. This quick and easy meatloaf recipe will have you raving for weeks. You can eat it by itself, pair it with mashed potatoes or put it in between two pieces of bread. No matter what you choose, it will certainly taste delicious.
What’s in it?
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 15-16 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ small onion, chopped
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Dried oregano
- Vegetable oil
- Garlic salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
How’s it made?
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and grease a baking dish with vegetable oil.
- Add the ground beef into a bowl along with ¼ of the tomato sauce, minced garlic, and chopped onion. Sprinkle a pinch of oregano as well.
- Sprinkle in some cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese to add more flavor.
- Mix everything together with your hands and form into one loaf or small meatloafs (your choice).
- Place the meatloaf into the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes. During this time the meat will get nice and brown.
- Season the remaining tomato sauce with a pinch of oregano, salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the meatloaf once the exterior is brown. This will add more flavor and prevent the meatloaf from drying out.
- Continue to cook until the internal temperature reaches a safe 160 degrees F.
- Remove from the oven.
This meatloaf is just too good. Taking a basic meatloaf and enhancing it with Italian flavors creates something that is so enjoyable. Rather than using ingredients like breadcrumbs and brown sugar for some sweetness, tomato sauce, garlic, onions, cheese and oregano gives you all the flavor you need. Once you take it out of the oven, allow it to cool for a few minutes and then slice it up! Every bite is going to comfort you and make you feel like you’re at home. The best part is, one meatloaf will yield quite a few meals. Also, it tastes really great cold so make sure you give that a try. Happy eating!