Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
Posted on May 28, 2015 by Cooking for Students
Quick breads are super convenient and are subtly sweet treats that everyone loves. A slice serves as a great breakfast that can eaten on the go, a snack or even dessert. One really yummy bread that can be made in a pinch is lemon poppy seed bread. The burst of citrus paired with the crunch of the seeds are what makes this recipe stand out. Lemon and poppy seeds are a popular combination for a reason and after a taking a bite of this bread you will understand why. Continue below to learn how to make a loaf of your own.
What’s in it?
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 egg, beaten
- Pinch of salt
*Makes 10 slices
How’s it made?
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly coat an 8 by 4 inch loaf pan (or another oven safe vessel similar in size) with oil.
- Add the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Pour in the wet ingredients which includes the milk, oil, lemon juice and egg.
- Mix until the batter just comes together. Make sure not to over mix.
- Pour the mix into the loaf pan and spread in an even layer.
- Place into the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the loaf is fragrant and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and insert a fork in the center. If it comes out clean, the bread is done. If not, return the loaf to the oven to bake for an additional 5 minutes or so.
- Take the bread out of the oven and allow to cool.
- Carefully remove the loaf from the pan and allow it to finish cooling.
- Slice the bread and eat. Cover and refrigerate any leftovers.
This recipe is super easy and the bread is addictive. The best part is, you can have bread baking while you study for 35-40 minutes. Once you place it in the oven you can do whatever you need to do and have lemon poppy seed bread ready when you are done. You’re going to love the tart sweetness combined with the texture the poppy seeds provide. There is also the option of making a batch of muffins if you do not have a loaf pan on hand.