Posted on September 4, 2015 by Cooking for Students
Who doesn’t love a good burger? The patty is juicy, flavorful and the toppings are there to add texture and compliment the beef. One burger variation that is always delicious is the guacamole burger. The guacamole is smooth, creamy and tart, the meat is savory and the other toppings add color and complete the burger. Step away from the cafeteria food and take a little time to make something that is both good and good for you. Every bite is really well balanced and this burger is worthy of being sold in a restaurant. You have your healthy fat, protein and vegetables. It doesn’t get much better than that.
What’s in it?
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 2 medium avocados, ripe
- Sliced cheese, American or cheddar
- ½ tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon salsa
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Juice of half a lemon
- Sesame seed buns
- Butter or margarine
- Vegetable oil
- Lettuce, sliced tomato and sliced onion
How’s it made?
- Slice the avocados in half. Carefully remove the pit and discard.
- Use a spoon to scoop the flesh out into a bowl.
- Drizzle with lemon juice to add tartness and prevent browning
- Add the chopped onion as well as the salsa.
- Mash the avocado with a fork.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator.
- Divide the ground beef in half. Form into two patties. Make sure they are thinner in the center so they cook evenly.
- Salt both sides with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle oil in a skillet and heat over high.
- Place the patties into the pan and cook for about 6 minutes per side or until the center is no longer pink.
- Add a slice of cheese and cover. This helps the cheese melt faster.
- Remove the burgers from the pan.
- Spread the buns with butter and toast in the pan used to make the burgers.
- Assemble burgers by adding the patty, guacamole, lettuce, tomato and sliced onion.
Sometimes the best burgers are the easiest ones to make and this one is a college student’s dream. Taking a break from the nearby eatery and actually cooking something for yourself is awesome. Adding guacamole is an easy and affordable way to enhance an otherwise plain burger. The guacamole not only adds tartness and good fat but it adds richness. Every bite is textural and flavorful which is exactly how a burger should be. Savor every bite!