French Toast Muffins
Posted on May 22, 2015 by Cooking for Students
French toast is delicious and transforming this breakfast item into muffins results in a batch of very special treats. They are sort of a French toast/bread pudding hybrid. Each bite is full of texture, has that decadent quality that French toast has, are subtly sweet and the notes of spices are really nice. Topping each muffin with a cinnamon streusel adds the perfect amount of sweetness and really allows that aromatic cinnamon to come to the forefront. There is no better way to put day old bread and a few eggs to good use. Continue below to learn how to make these spectacular muffins.
What’s in it?
- 1 loaf French bread
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 6 large eggs
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- Vegetable oil
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine, chilled
*Makes 12 muffins
How’s it made?
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a muffin tin with oil or line with paper cups for easy clean up.
- Cube the bread and place the cubed bread in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl add the eggs and beat.
- Add the vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour this egg mixture over the cubed bread and mix to coat the bread. Press the bread down to ensure that the egg wash gets into every crevice.
- As the bread is soaking, make the streusel by adding all the ingredient into a bowl.
- Mix with a fork until a crumbly texture is achieved (this means the butter is evenly distributed).
- Add the muffin mix into the tin. You want to put about 1 cup of mix into each tin.
- Sprinkle each muffin with the streusel topping and place them into the oven.
- Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool and serve.
These muffins are simply outstanding and the recipe is so easy to follow. Aside from serving these as a breakfast food or snack, French toast muffins can easily be transformed into a dessert. To do so, skip the cinnamon streusel and top each muffin with whipped cream and fresh berries. Another way to serve them is by topping them with caramelized apples or drizzling them with melted chocolate. The options are endless.