Fluffy Banana Pancakes
Posted on December 12, 2013 by The Hairy Bikers
The whole family will love these pancakes – and not just for breakfast. They also make a lovely snack served just as they are or warmed through in a toaster. It’s tempting to slather them with butter, but resist or your calorie count will go through the roof!
What’s in it?
- 175g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 225ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1 ripe, medium banana
- 1 tsp sunflower oil, for frying
- 200g mixed fresh berries, such as raspberries, blueberries, redcurrants and strawberries
- 4 tsp agave nectar, honey or golden syrup
How’s it made?
- Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon, if using, into a large bowl. Whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff but not dry and whisk in the caster sugar.
- Stir the milk slowly and gradually into the flour mixture, then beat hard with a metal whisk to get rid of any lumps. Peel the banana, cut it in half lengthways, then into thin slices. Stir the banana slices into the pancake batter.
- Fold a quarter of the whisked egg whites into the pancake batter with a large metal spoon until evenly combined, then very gently fold in the rest. You want to try to keep as much air in the pancakes as possible, so they are light and fluffy when you cook them.
- Brush a large non-stick frying pan with a little oil and place it over a medium-high heat. Add 4 large spoonfuls of the pancake batter to the pan, spacing them well apart.
- Cook the pancakes for 1½ –2 minutes on one side, until the surface looks almost dry and you can see small air bubbles rising to the surface. Flip the pancakes over and cook on the other side for another 2 minutes until they’re puffed up and lightly browned.
- Pop the pancakes on to a plate and keep them warm while you cook the rest in the same way. Serve the hot pancakes with lots of fresh berries and just a dribble of agave syrup, honey or golden syrup.
*251 calories per portion of 3 pancakes with fruit and honey (74 calories per pancake)
Recipe from THE HAIRY DIETERS EAT FOR LIFE by Si King & Dave Myers, published by Weidenfeld & Nicolson on 15 August 2013 in trade paperback at £14.99, eBook: £7.99