Posted on June 2, 2015 by Cooking for Students
College students like to entertain like anyone else. When you are having a few friends over you need snacks right? Rather than going out and buying a bag of potato chips or ordering a few pizzas make a batch of deviled eggs. They are a classic that everyone likes. Deviled eggs are rich, creamy and full of flavor. They are a great balance of salt, acid and smokiness thanks to the garnish of paprika. Best of all you can make a lot of them on a budget. Here is how to make the best deviled eggs quickly and easily.
What’s in it?
- 6 large eggs
- ½ cup low fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Smoked paprika, to taste
How’s it made?
- Place eggs into the bottom of a saucepan.
- Add water to the saucepan until eggs are covered with almost 2 inches of water.
- Place the saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil.
- As soon as the water starts to boil cover the pan and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 1 minute.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Leave the cover on and allow it to sit for 15 minutes. The heat is trapped inside the saucepan so the eggs will finish cooking (do not lift the lid).
- Drain and peel each egg. To make peeling easier run them under cold water. This makes the process move along much faster.
- Pat dry, slice each egg in half and scoop the yolks into a bowl. Place the whites on a plate.
- Mash the yolks with a fork.
- Add mayo, lemon juice, mustard and hot sauce to the yolks. Mix.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir until creamy and well incorporated.
- Fill each egg white and garnish with a dusting of paprika.
- Cover and chill in the fridge (deviled eggs always taste better when they have been chilling in the fridge for a while).
Now that the deviled eggs are done invite a few friends over and take some time to socialize. Nothing is better than winding down from a busy week with great company and food. Watch a movie, share a few laughs and savor every bite of these amazing deviled eggs. To elevate this recipe even more consider adding thinly sliced green onion and/or bacon bits.