Cheesy Spinach Pie
Posted on August 14, 2015 by Cooking for Students
The best college recipes are those that serve well as breakfast, lunch or dinner. This cheesy spinach pie is definitely one of those recipes. This pie is so easy to make, minimal ingredients are required and it will fit into even the smallest of food budgets. The best part is, this pie has that homemade feel that is very comforting. What can get better than eggs, cheese and spinach?
What’s in it?
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups low fat shredded cheese, cheddar works well
- 10oz frozen spinach, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Vegetable or olive oil
- Black pepper
How’s it made?
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat a pie pan with cooking spray. You can use the disposable aluminum pans.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until softened and fragrant. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Add the spinach to the skillet and cook while stirring until all the moisture dissolves. Season with salt and black pepper. Remove from the heat.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and season with salt and black pepper. Mix the cheese into the eggs.
- Pour the eggs into the pie pan.
- Add the spinach and onion mix into the pan as well. Mix until the spinach is evenly distributed.
- Place onto a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the top is lightly brown.
- Remove from the oven and test for doneness by sticking a fork in the center. If the fork comes out clean, it is done. If not, place into the oven for an additional 5 minutes or so.
- Allow the pie to cool for a few minutes before slicing.
This pie is a real treat. The top gets all nice and golden but the inside is so fluffy and cheesy. Keeping the seasonings simple with just salt and pepper is the best way to go because it allows the ingredients to shine. Every components melds together flawlessly to create a really enjoyable plate of food. This pie is also a great way to fit more vegetables into your diet. Even those who are not a fan of spinach will like this pie. It is just that good. You may also want to consider topping the pie with some shredded cheddar a few minutes before you remove it from the oven to add even more flavor.