Cheese Quesadilla with Cucumber Cabbage Salad
Posted on June 4, 2015 by Cooking for Students
Having a quick and easy lunch recipe on hand that tastes phenomenal is always helpful. One standout recipe is the cheese quesadilla with a cucumber and cabbage salad. The quesadilla itself is cheesy and rich. This one in particular uses both Monterey jack and cheddar. Although jack is a great melting cheese, it has a bland taste so the cheddar is used to add flavor. As for the salad, it brightens up the entire meal. Each bite is light, fresh and crisp. On those days when you want a great lunch but have very little time to make one this can be your go to recipe. It can be made in ten minutes or less!
What’s in it?
- 2 flour tortillas (whole wheat is also a good option)
- Shredded Monterey jack cheese
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Vegetable oil
- 1 handful fresh cabbage, sliced or shredded
- ½ medium cucumber, thinly sliced in rounds
- 1 tablespoon low fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and black pepper to taste
How’s it made?
- Add the cucumber and cabbage to a bowl.
- Add the mayo, lemon juice, salt and pepper
- Toss until everything is coated with mayo and lemon juice.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Heat a large skillet over medium and add vegetable oil to prevent sticking.
- Place one tortilla into the skillet and top with both cheeses (be generous with the cheese).
- Place the second tortilla on top.
- Cook until the bottom tortilla is golden. This will happen very quickly so watch it closely to prevent burning.
- Carefully flip the quesadilla and brown on the other side.
- Remove from the skillet, cut into four pieces and serve with the salad and maybe some salsa, hot sauce or pico de gallo for heat and acidity.
You are going to love this lunch. It is hearty, filling, and healthy. The concept and approach is extremely simple but the outcome is very delicious. There is the option of making this lunch recipe as is or using it as a template to create your own recipe. Along with the cheese, things like black beans, rice, shredded chicken, tomatoes and even leftover steak can be added to give the quesadilla more bulk. Quesadillas are a great way to put leftovers to good use. Use what you have to load up the quesadilla and make it even better. You will have a tasty plate of food in front of you no matter what.