Caramelised Onion Burger
Posted on July 18, 2015 by Cooking for Students
Burgers are protein packed and leave you feeling full for a long time. When done right, a burger can really hit the spot. The key is achieving a super juicy patty, having some lettuce on there for crunch, tomato for some sweet acidity and of course caramelized onions. Every burger should be served with caramelized onions because they just amp up the flavor. When onions are caramelized their natural sugars come out and their taste is completely transformed. They get this very deep sweetness that manages to maintain a savory element. The big picture is, caramelized onions are phenomenal and turn a basic burger into something special without putting a dent in your food budget.
What’s in it?
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 cup sliced onions
- Hamburger buns
- Sliced tomato
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Vegetable oil
- Black pepper
*Makes 2 double patty burgers or 4 single patty burgers
How’s it made?
- Add onions to a small pan along with the butter. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium heat while stirring.
- Reduce heat to low when the onions are fragrant.
- Cover and allow them to caramelize.
- Divide the ground beef in 4 equal portions.
- Form into patties and generously season each patty on both sides with salt and pepper. Make sure each burger is thinner at the center for even cooking.
- Add a little oil to a sauté pan and heat over high.
- Place the burgers into the pan and cook for 2 minutes or until brown.
- Flip and cook burgers on the other side until brown and some areas begin to char. If you prefer a medium rare burger cook for about 3 additional minutes and -6 minutes for well done.
- Remove burgers from the pan and check on the caramelized onions. Once they are brown, soft and very fragrant remove them from the heat.
- Butter the hamburger buns and toast in the pan used to cook the burgers.
- Assemble your burger and store leftovers in the fridge. They can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
The caramelized onion burger is one of the best out there. It’s absolutely delicious and is extremely easy to make. You do not have to settle for mediocre burgers anymore. Making one worthy of being in a restaurant is quick and easy. All you need is a little direction and some caramelized onions to make a gourmet inspired burger for a student friendly price.